Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Homemade, All-Natural Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner

Decided to try making my own conditioner after looking at the all-natural conditioners at the store and seeing how expensive they were. I also figured DIY conditioner would be fun!

THE MIX – What I got for my conditioner
- Coconut oil: 1/4 cup
- Vegetable glycerin: 1/8 cup
- Essential oil: 5 - 10 drops depending on the oil you get and how strong you want it
(Eucalyptus in my case because it’s good for your hair and was on sale for $3/bottle! But really tea tree would be better I think.)
- Olive oil: 3 tbsp


I also purchased some Vitamin E oil but then I noticed that it contained Sweet Almond oil and I have allergies… :-( However, I encourage you to add about 2 – 3 tsp of Vit. E oil to my recipe and it will likely make your hair even silkier! I plan on getting non-almond Vit. E oil for my next batch!

NOTE: Since this mixture contains no preservatives I recommend using it all within about three weeks. If you let it sit out too long without preservatives then it will spoil and that will NOT be good for your hair!

TOOLS
- Small mixing bowl
- Whisk (or if you don’t have a whisk and can use chopsticks in the manner then that is fine)
- Bottle to put your conditioner in

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STEP 1 – Mix together your olive oil and coconut oil. You could heat up the coconut oil but I felt that the consistency of the conditioner is better when you put it in thick and then whisk it smooth.


STEP 2 – Add yhour essential oil(s) and blend well. If you have any other oils (jojoba, argan, almond, vit. E oil, etc.) then add those now.

STEP 3 – Blend in the glycerin. It should go in smoothly.


STEP 4 – Add to your bottle and let sit.


TO USE: Put about a dime to quarter sized amount in your hands and run them through your hair. Let it sit for about 5 – 10 mins. at least. I usually put mine in my hair and  let it sit for about 30 mins before showering. Then I use my rosemary and apple cider vinegar rinse with it! I will often then shampoo and conditioner the tips as normal.

I used to apply this to dry hair but then I learned that glycerin is a humectant. Humectants help to retain moisture in whatever they are applied to. If you apply glycerin to dry hair then it has no moisture and can conversely end up drying out your hair, which defeats the purpose of the oils. So for that reason, make sure you wet your hair before using this conditioner mix.

Hopefully this will leave your hair soft and shiny!! Enjoy! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment